"Matthew D. Fuller" <fulle...@over-yonder.net>

wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 11:11:03PM +0100 I heard the voice of
> Dave, and lo! it spake thus:
> >
> > Anyone got any pointers on what is causing flash to get annoyed with
> > ctwm in this way?
>
> I s'pose the most likely thing is that it's trying to ask the WM some
> question, and ctwm doesn't give it an answer.  I know, that's probably
> too specific...   :)
>
> The Extended Window Manager Hints spec[0] is probably the most likely
> place to find something it's trying for that ctwm lacks.

I seem to recall seeing something which pointed in that direction
several months ago. But I lacked the expertise (and time) to follow
it up.

> One way to
> check that would be to try with fvwm (2.4.x) and see if it still
> fails, then try with EWMH-enabled fvwm
> (http://fvwm-ewmh.sourceforge.net/ or 2.5).  That would give you a
> quick touchstone as to whether the issue is likely to lie there.

When considering alternatives to ctwm, and before I settled on
Openbox, I briefly tried a recent version of fvwm (default version
for Fedora) and full screen flash worked OK.

I suspect it was fvwm 2.5 (the current version on my F10 machine is
fvwm-2.5.26-2.fc10.i386).

That implies that something like the code required for full screen
flash is in recent versions of fvwm. I don't know if it would be
straightforward for a C programmer (which I am not!) to port the
relevant bit of code to ctwm.

> > Is there a repository of the patches which have been made since the
> > last release?
>
> You can get them out of the monotone repository.

Where is that? Google gives no information about a repository with
anything later than 3.8a. Neither does the cwtm page, as far as I
can tell.

> There's a blurb on
> the page about pulling down a copy.  I've attached a quick&dirty slice
> of the log since the ctwm-3.8a tag.

I recently found this, while searching for an update on ctwm:

http://tigerdyr.wheel.dk/ctwm-archive/2147.html

It mentions "the latest update of ctwm (3.9devel)"

> From: Richard Levitte <richard_at_levitte.org>
> Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 21:03:42 +0100 (CET)
>
> In message <20090106155024.GA26649_at_fermat.math.technion.ac.il> on
> Tue, 6 Jan 2009 17:50:24 +0200, "Nadav Har'El"
> <nyh_at_math.technion.ac.il> said:
>
> nyh> Recently I upgraded my Linux system from Fedora 7 to Fedora 10.
> nyh> One of the changes which annoyed me was that suddenly,
> nyh> full-screen-mode mplayer (mplayer -fs) no longer worked, and just
> nyh> showed a small window as usual. I looked at all the "usual
> nyh> suspects" (nvidia driver, xorg, XVideo extension, etc.) but none
> nyh> of those seemed to be broken.
> nyh>
> nyh> Finally, I found the real problem: full-screen mode in recent
> nyh> versions of mplayer does not work on ctwm (3.8a) :(
>
> What version is that? I used the following mplayer package for
> Debian
> with the latest update of ctwm (3.9devel):
>
> : ; apt-show-versions mplayer
> mplayer/unstable uptodate 1:1.0.rc2svn20080706-0.1
>
> I have none of your problems...
>
> Not trying to invalidate your experience, mind. I'm just trying to
> see what we're up against and why. Also, I think you'll find mplayer
> defaults in /etc/mplayer, maybe there are things you should look
> into
> there...
>
> Cheers,
> Richard
>
> --
> Richard Levitte                         richard_at_levitte.org

However, no amount of searching with google led to any other
information about "ctwm (3.9devel)" and where to get it.

I concluded it must be something specific to Debian, which I don't
use, so gave up.

The latest version I have  been able to find is 3.8a, which I was
using before I switched.

As far as I can tell the official ctwm page http://ctwm.free.lp.se/
was last modified on Fri Mar 30 00:03:44 2007

It contains a link to a debian ctwl cite, which is broken:
    http://packages.debian.org/stable/x11/ctwm.html

Does Richard read messages from this list?

Aaron
http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~axs