On Monday, March 24, 2003, at 08:11 PM, Bill O'Hanlon wrote:
Both of these ideas get used in Martin Caidin's book "Deathmate"...

(If you're old enough, you might remember the "Six Million Dollar Man"
TV series.  Caidin was the author of the book that was used for that
series.)

It's a bit old, but Deathmate is quite violent and somewhat topical. It's
sure to please some folks on this list.

Yep, I'm old enough to have read the novel, circa 1969-71, except that it was called "Cyborg." I know I read it a few years before the TV series, which I only saw a few episodes of (I was in college, and TV was not common for student back then).

Joe Poyer was another military/thriller writer of the era. I've been seeing novels by another Poyer lately...I've been assuming it's his son.

Walter Wager was another good novelist of the era.

Amazon will have details on all of them.

--Tim May
"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the Public Treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidate promising the most benefits from the Public Treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy always followed by dictatorship." --Alexander Fraser Tyler