When we started Dabo, I already had projects on my plate for which I needed the
library. So initial coding of the library was refactoring pieces of this and
that I'd
saved elsewhere for specific needs.

The class designer as you see it now is at least the second complete rewrite,
and was
built iteratively over the years.

I simply couldn't ever spend the needed time to test the class designer on my
real
projects, because I couldn't afford to risk derailing my projects to do the
in-depth
testing needed. The best test is to actually use the software for your
day-to-day needs.

Also, I feel at home with the toolkit I've developed over the years, and my
code/test
cycle is very fast. I never have a .py file open without saving for more than a
few
minutes, and vim keeps a backup file around in case my computer crashes or
something.
I've never lost code, my development cycle is fast and comfortable, I don't
have to
wonder if I'll ever need to hand-edit XML, so why switch?

My dev kit is basically a bunch of separate terminal windows open, vim, and
frequent
commits to subversion. Every now and then I use a debugger or the profiler, but
usually I know exactly where the problem is already (because I only just caused
it),
and when I'm confused I find it easy and quick to sprinkle print statements to
narrow
down the problem.

I always make test code at the bottom of my UI files, so when I'm in the layout
process I can quickly run the form/panel/whatever without loading the whole
app.
Laying out a UI with vim this way probably involves a couple hundred edit/run
cycles
for even the simplest form, but I'm cool with it and I really don't feel that
my
tools slow me down too much in the long run, because code is explicit.
copy/paste
boilerplate is one thing I do to avoid having to type boring sizer code over
and over.

Paul