On 2/18/11 10:39 AM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:

> Am 2011-02-16 um 20:31 schrieb Paul McNett:
>
>> On 2/16/11 7:42 AM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
>>> I'd rather suggest to un-i18n all the docstrings!
>>> (Even if I translated most of them into German already.)
>>
>> Can you tell us the reasons why?
> Why I don't think we need translations for docstrings? I prefer a good
> documentation in English over scattered versions in different
> languages. It's a major effort to keep everything in sync, and we
> should rather enhance the docs than translate them.

I see what you mean, but since we get the translations essentially for free
(thanks
to volunteers out there willing to help) and since we fall back to English if a
translation doesn't exist, shouldn't we provide the translated docstrings in
the hope
of helping a little?

Or does it hinder?

I don't have the answers because I'm English-only. If we were to do a survey do
you
think most non-English speakers would agree that English-only docstrings are
better
than English-sometimes?

Paul