That’s simply not on the prioritization list of the developers: these are also
users of darktable „eating their own dogfood“ so imaging functionality is more
important for them then „wasting“ time for stuff that won’t improve their edits.
Keep in mind - it’s not just open source, it‘s also free to be forked if
somebody will spent a lot of time to implement a different ui.