> But, why not allow the user to create a tab with aliases to the original
> modules, which would never be altered whatever the alias tab displays ?
> When the user needs to see what is really happening, he goes back to the
> main tab, and when he wants to work according to his taste, he uses his
> alias tab.

Check the link I posted (
https://github.com/darktable-org/darktable/issues/7841), it more or less
answers your question (related to the new 'basic module', which is
reminiscent of your 'alias tab').

The main points for me (not a developer, but happy to answer user
questions) are two:

- consistency: everything else is pipe-ordered. Having a single tab ordered
not in pipe order, while the rest is, means people get confused. People
confused means more work answering questions and wrongly filled bugs.
Notice that the proposal linked above has a small chance to go
through precisely because it's a separate 'module', which could be made
clearly different from the regular tabs to convey the idea that GUI sliders
order and pipe order are not related ONLY in that module.

- having all tabs not in pipe-order loses the 'physical'
(visual?) connection between module order and image result, which is worse.
As somebody said before, you don't expect a layer-based software (like Gimp
or Photoshop) to allow you to re-order the layers independently of how they
will be merged (usually top to bottom). This is the same situation:
pipe-order is central to how darktable works, operations are applied in a
defined order, and the GUI order reflecting pipe-order is a manifestation
of that (now more than ever because pipe-order can be changed).

Best regards,
Guillermo