On 2022-02-02 at 11:21, Michael Stone wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 02, 2022 at 09:39:02AM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Feb 01 2022, Russ Allbery wrote:
>>
>>> I would hate to entirely lose the quality review that we get via
>>> NEW, but I wonder if we could regain many those benefits by
>>> setting up some sort of peer review system for new packages that
>>> is less formal and less bottlenecked on a single team than the
>>> current NEW processing setup.
>>
>> This is a fantastic idea.
>>
>> In fact, it wouldn't have to bottleneck packages at all.  I mean,
>> if a quality issue is found in NEW, wouldn't the same be an RC bug
>> preventing a transition to testing?
>
> I'm not sure "nobody ever looked at this" is a suitable criteria for
> inclusion in a stable release. We sort of have that problem now in
> crusty corners of the archive if someone uploads a bad change, but at
> least there's been one review at some point in the package's
> lifetime.

Doesn't that, then, lead to the suggestion that any package entering
unstable without having undergone NEW review (which, in the revised
model, might be every new package) should automatically have a bug filed
against it requesting suitable review, and that bug should be treated as
a blocker for entering testing?

That wouldn't help the "someone uploads a bad change" problem for
already-accepted packages, but it would seem to avoid the "nobody ever
looked at this" situation.

It would also increase the number of automatically-filed bugs by quite a
lot, I suspect, which would itself be some degree of downside...

--
   The Wanderer