On Friday, 28 June 2024 17:49:40 CEST Mario Limonciello wrote:
> On 6/28/2024 10:41, Diederik de Haas wrote:
> > On Monday, 5 February 2024 15:47:08 CEST Nate wrote:
> >> AMD has introduced a feature called Power Management Framework.
> >
> > With the upload of 6.9.7 this module now is available in the kernel.
>
> > AFAIK one of my systems should benefit from this too:
> > MB: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING, BIOS 3607 03/18/2024
> > CPU(/APU?): AMD Ryzen 5 5500GT
> > amd-microcode: version 3.20240116.2+nmu1 (has AMD-TEE firmware, #1062678)
> > firmware-amd-graphics: 20240220-1~exp0 (sorry ;-P)
> > power-profiles-daemon: 0.21-2
> >
> > So I think I'm all set...
>
> I don't think so.  I've never heard of this actually used in a desktop
> board.  It's for mobile designs AFAIK.

I can understand that the initial/original goal/target was mobile.
But is there a(ny) technical reason why it couldn't also support 'desktop'
systems?
IIRC and IIUC it does need Zen 3, which my CPU/SoC does.

> >> The power-profiles-daemon software gained recently support for amd-pstate
> >> driver, and also gained support to handle simultaneously cpu driver
> >> (amd-pstate) and platform driver (amd-pmf).
> >
> > The version in that PPA is 0.21-1, so the Debian Testing/Unstable version
> > should be fine now?
>
> Yes.

Excellent

> >> And when I list the existing power-profiles I get the following:
> >>
> >> user@machine:> sudo powerprofilesctl
> >>
> >>    performance:
> >>      CpuDriver:    amd_pstate
> >>      Degraded:   no
> >>
> >> * balanced:
> >>      CpuDriver:    amd_pstate
> >>      PlatformDriver:       placeholder
> >>
> >>    power-saver:
> >>      CpuDriver:    amd_pstate
> >>      PlatformDriver:       placeholder
> >>
> >> This (PlatformDriver: placeholder) indicates that the AMD_PMF module is
> >> not included in the kernel.
> >
> > So I booted into the 6.9.7 kernel and ran that command ... only to be
> > greeted with the exact same output ...
> >
> > So I verified whether AMD_PMF was indeed included ... and it was.
> > Then I ran ``lsmod | grep amd`` and I saw various modules listed, but I
> > did
> > NOT see an ``amd_pmf`` driver loaded. Or and ``amdtee`` ...
> >
> > So I did ``modprobe amd_pmf`` and checked ``lsmod`` again and there it
> > was:
> > Ran ``powerprofilesctl`` again ... and saw no change (thus still
> > 'placeholder')>
> >> There may be technical limitations that I am not aware of.
> >
> > I would have expected that amd_pmf and related modules would be loaded
> > automatically. And ofc that it would actually work.
> >
> > The only real thing that I can think off that could interfere (from my
> > side) is that I'm still using an 'old fashioned' BIOS, thus not UEFI.
> >
> > What other causes could there be that makes it not work properly?
>
> If there is no matching PMF ACPI device the driver won't automatically load.

Ok. I might be able to convince Asus to add it, but I can also configure my
system to 'modprobe' it on boot up.

> The way that it works is that the OEM will set bits in their BIOS for
> that ACPI device indicating which "AMD_PMF" features they support.
> That's things like Static Slider, Auto mode, CNQF, Smart PC, slider
> notifications.

I have no idea what those things are, but I can research it ...

> I think someone with a laptop that supports PMF would be best to confirm
> this.  Framework 13 AMD and Framework 16 both support it.

It would be great if someone with such a system can confirm whether it now can/
does work for the original target.

But I think everyone and the planet would benefit from a (more) energy
efficient
system, regardless if it (normally) runs on batteries or not.
In my case, this system will likely be my NAS, so idle 99(.9)% of the time and
(in the future) on 24/7, so I'm extra motivated to make it consume as little
energy as possible.

Cheers and thanks for your fast response,
  Diederik