On 6/28/2024 12:05, Diederik de Haas wrote:
On Friday, 28 June 2024 18:37:06 CEST Mario Limonciello wrote:
On 6/28/2024 11:18, Diederik de Haas wrote:
I don't think so.  I've never heard of this actually used in a desktop
board.  It's for mobile designs AFAIK.

I can understand that the initial/original goal/target was mobile.
But is there a(ny) technical reason why it couldn't also support 'desktop'
systems?
IIRC and IIUC it does need Zen 3, which my CPU/SoC does.

It needs information about the hardware thermal design to change the
correct coefficients.

Isn't that something that AMD would know?

I have software interfaces that I can use to tell you what APU coefficient is currently programmed. I can tell you what the MAX an APU can support is but I can't tell you what the "rest" of the hardware design can support.

This depends on hardware stuff.  For example:
1) how big of a heat pipe there is
2) how big of a power supply there is
3) how many fans there are
4) is there a beefy GPU sharing power
5) etc.

Even if you have the thermal headroom if you turn PPT limits up too much your GPU performance might suffer.

Designers do thermal simulations to come up with the numbers for all this stuff and it's proprietary information to go with their design.

That's why it's encoded in BIOS or EC and OS will read it and offer the interface to the user. I really don't think it makes sense in a design it yourself desktop.