On Friday, 28 June 2024 19:24:58 CEST Mario Limonciello wrote:
> On 6/28/2024 12:05, Diederik de Haas wrote:

> >> It needs information about the hardware thermal design to change the
> >> correct coefficients.
> >
> > Isn't that something that AMD would know?
>
> I have software interfaces that I can use to tell you what APU
> coefficient is currently programmed.  I can tell you what the MAX an APU
> can support is but I can't tell you what the "rest" of the hardware
> design can support.
>
> This depends on hardware stuff.  For example:
> 1) how big of a heat pipe there is
> 2) how big of a power supply there is
> 3) how many fans there are
> 4) is there a beefy GPU sharing power
> 5) etc.
>
> Even if you have the thermal headroom if you turn PPT limits up too much
> your GPU performance might suffer.

As this will normally be a headless system, I'm actually looking if I can turn
the GPU off, *unless* there's an HDMI cable plugged in.
So (at least for now), the GPUs only function is to have a display when I need
it for troubleshooting.

> Designers do thermal simulations to come up with the numbers for all
> this stuff and it's proprietary information to go with their design.
>
> That's why it's encoded in BIOS or EC and OS will read it and offer the
> interface to the user.  I really don't think it makes sense in a design
> it yourself desktop.

Ah, ok. Clear :-)
I (initially) thought you meant hardware thermal design *of the CPU*, but I
now know it's 'a bit' more then that.

Thanks,
  Diederik