On Saturday 29 August 2015 22:20:45 rlhar...@oplink.net wrote:

> On Sat, August 29, 2015 8:33 pm, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Saturday 29 August 2015 21:24:47 rlhar...@oplink.net wrote:
> >> Forgive me; my fingers are dyslexic.
> >
> > So are mine.  They don't type what I tell them to lots of the time.
> > Coulnd't be the accumulated years (nearly 81) could it?
>
> Not necessarily.
>
> From time to time, I have found a sudden, large increase in the number
> of typographical errors in the documents which I produce.  And several
> times, investigation has revealed that the problem lies in a worn-out
> keyboard.
>
> Back in the 1960's and 1970's, manufacturers such as Honeywell and
> Cherry made keyswitches with a life rating in the tens of millions or
> even hundreds of millions of keystrokes.  Nowadays, it is becoming
> difficult to find a keyboard with a rating in the tens of thousands of
> keystrokes.
>
> Many manufacturers today have a poor keyswitch design which utilizes
> low-quality plastics; they depend upon a lubricant such as wax to keep
> the plunger working freely.  And when the wax wears away, the plunger
> begins to stick.  And when the plunger does not depress freely, the
> result is a multitude of typographical errors.
>
> RLH

One of the things I am always in search of, is a keyboard that will keep
on working when its up to the family tools in metallic sawdust, aka
swarf.  Space is also a premium, and lately I have migrated this machine
and  my 3 cnc machines to a logitek k360 board, whose key sides are
vertical as opposed to the usual tapered side keys, which allow a
curlyque of cut steel to follow the key down, and then wedge it down.
The K360 helps in that regard tremendously.

I found an ACER keyboard that at first seemed to be ideal for such an
environment, but one often picks up the keyboard and takes it to the
machine so you can see what you are doing much more precisely when doing
the setup to run a job.  Unfortunately it has rows of extra "media keys"
along the edges, and picking it up without pressing one of those is well
nigh impossible.

So its back to the K360, with its oddly placed pageup & pagedown keys
which are normally used to raise or lower the head on a milling machine.

It Just Works(TM) if I can get used to the compact layout. ;-)

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)