On Mon, 31 Aug 2015 02:09:23 -0500
rlhar...@oplink.net wrote:

> On Sun, August 30, 2015 8:49 pm, Martin Read wrote:
> > Cherry still *are* (or at some point resumed) making mechanical
> > keyswitches with a rated life in the tens of millions, and the Internet is
> > full of mail-order vendors selling keyboards (from several different
> > manufacturers) built with those Cherry keyswitches.
>
> How much do those things cost?  Now that a keyboard can be had for $10 or
> $15, is it better to pay $150 or even $250 for a quality keyboard, or
> replace a $15 keyboard every year or even every six months?

I while back I bought a Razer Black Widow mechanical keyboard, and it
cost about $100. They claim[1] that the switches will last up to 60
million keystrokes, and sell both silent and clicky types. It's a
really nicely built keyboard, and IMO good for typing. It also has USB
and audio pass-through.

(You need a small Python script to enable the macro keys under Linux,
as Razer themselves seem quite uninterested in supporting that.)

Is it worth the money? I can't comment on the durability, as it's not
that long ago since I bought it, but IMO it's comfortable enough that
I'll buy another one if something happens to it.

Petter

[1] http://www.razerzone.com/razer-mechanical-switches

--
"I'm ionized"