On Sat, 31 Oct 2015 10:38:48 -0400 (EDT), "Reco" wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Oct 2015 10:29:48 -0400 (EDT), Stephen Powell wrote:
>> Does anyone know an easy way to identify obsolete packages without
>> using aptitide?
>
> deborphan --guess-all

According to the documentation for deborphan,

   "deborphan finds packages that have no packages depending on them ...".

That's not what I want.  What I want is a list of installed packages
that are not listed in any repository found in /etc/apt/sources.list.
This is what aptitude refers to as "Obsolete or Locally Created Packages".

As an example, lilo has no packages depending on it; but it is
included in Debian stretch, which is listed in /etc/apt/sources.list.
Therefore, by aptitude's definition of obsolete, lilo is not obsolete.
On the other hand, libapt-pkg4.12, which still exists in jessie, was
recently removed from stretch.  Therefore, for stretch systems,
libapt-pkg4.12, though it may be installed by reason of a migration
from jessie, is classified as obsolete.  It is installed, but it is
no longer installable from the Debian archive.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell    <zlinux...@wowway.com>
 : :'  :