Mario Castelán Castro wrote:
El 31/10/15 a las 10:05, Richard Owlett escribió:
Martin Read wrote:
On 31/10/15 12:02, Chris Bannister wrote:
Logically, doesn't it make more sense to make it so that you
install
with the minimum number of packages necessary, and then
download any
extra packages you want *after* the install?

Only if you accept austere minimalism as axiomatically good.

*YES* <grin>
That 'yes' would not have been so bold except Debian defaults
go too far
in the other direction. E.G. I just installed Squeeze to one
machine be
cause I like some Gnome2 features that Gnome3 zapped and I'm
not sure
exist in MATE (am investigating).

Applications->Internet lists 8 applications, none of which are of
interest and does not list the only internet application I need
(SeaMonkey).
System->Administration lists 10 applications, only 1 of which I
use more
than once a month (Synaptic) and doesn't list one I use almost
daily
(Gparted).

I'm working on learning debootstrap and multistrap to have things
suitably minimal and powerful simultaneously.

I have also noticed that Debian installs a lot of "extra"
programs by default. For example, when I installed LXDE using the
latest (Debian 7) LXDE CD and, I obtained LibreOffice, Iceweasel
and Deluge (among many others), none of which are part of LXDE,
and of those, I only wanted Icweasel installed since the beginning.

If you want to control more precisely which packages get
installed, you can also install a text-only system and then add
the additional packages with the package manager. It won't give
the same results and isn't as flexible as Debootstrap or
Multistrap, of course.

<chuckle>That and learning to use preseed.cfg was what got me started. When I opined that it was still too fat, someone pointed me to debootstrap which led to discovering multistrap.

I hail from when 640k was "infinte" ;)