On Sat 31 Oct 2015 at 16:24:36 +0000, Lisi Reisz wrote:

> On Saturday 31 October 2015 16:18:15 Mario Castelán Castro wrote:
> >
> > I have also noticed that Debian installs a lot of "extra" programs by
> > default. For example, when I installed LXDE using the latest (Debian 7)
> > LXDE CD and, I obtained LibreOffice, Iceweasel and Deluge (among many
> > others), none of which are part of LXDE, and of those, I only wanted
> > Icweasel installed since the beginning.
> >
> > If you want to control more precisely which packages get installed, you
> > can also install a text-only system and then add the additional packages
> > with the package manager. It won't give the same results and isn't as
> > flexible as Debootstrap or Multistrap, of course.
>
> It isn't Debian that installs all those packages.  It's the DE. All anyone
> has
> to do to avoid them is not install a DE.  You are given the option.

Sorry to disagree here, but the packages brought in by LXDE (particularily
the Recommends:) are determined by the maintainer. Also, getting LXDE from
tasksel is not the same as with 'apt-get install lxde'.

Someone who wanted a customised LXDE installation would not be using
tasksel or 'apt-get install lxde'. Someone who does use either of these
methods gets what Debian decides is useful for most users.