Lisi Reisz wrote:
On Saturday 31 October 2015 16:18:15 Mario Castelán Castro wrote:
El 31/10/15 a las 10:05, Richard Owlett escribió:
Martin Read wrote:
On 31/10/15 12:02, Chris Bannister wrote:
Logically, doesn't it make more sense to make it so that you
install
with the minimum number of packages necessary, and then
download any
extra packages you want *after* the install?

Only if you accept austere minimalism as axiomatically good.

*YES* <grin>
That 'yes' would not have been so bold except Debian defaults go too far
in the other direction. E.G. I just installed Squeeze to one machine be
cause I like some Gnome2 features that Gnome3 zapped and I'm not sure
exist in MATE (am investigating).

Applications->Internet lists 8 applications, none of which are of
interest and does not list the only internet application I need
(SeaMonkey).
System->Administration lists 10 applications, only 1 of which I use more
than once a month (Synaptic) and doesn't list one I use almost daily
(Gparted).

I'm working on learning debootstrap and multistrap to have things
suitably minimal and powerful simultaneously.

I have also noticed that Debian installs a lot of "extra" programs by
default. For example, when I installed LXDE using the latest (Debian 7)
LXDE CD and, I obtained LibreOffice, Iceweasel and Deluge (among many
others), none of which are part of LXDE, and of those, I only wanted
Icweasel installed since the beginning.

If you want to control more precisely which packages get installed, you
can also install a text-only system and then add the additional packages
with the package manager. It won't give the same results and isn't as
flexible as Debootstrap or Multistrap, of course.

It isn't Debian that installs all those packages.  It's the DE. All anyone has
to do to avoid them is not install a DE.  You are given the option.

Lisi

But extraneous cruft is not intrinsic to using a DE. I'll search for my last preseed.cfg and come back with numbers.