On Tue, 2 Mar 2021 09:50:22 -0500
Dan Ritter <d...@randomstring.org> wrote:

> > I'm not positive that that's the correct approach, however,
> > especially given that I suspect that /boot will need to be visible
> > to GRUB and may thus need to be outside the LVM.
>
> grub can find a root in LVM, but needs /boot to be outside.
> /boot in an mdadm RAID1 is a good idea there.

I'm not sure you need a separate /boot partition. I am using Bullseye
weekly builds, so I may have a more recent d-i and grub than you do.
Also this is on i386 on a small (60GB) drive, and a DOS type MBR.

I have one LVM partition, with swap and root in that. The LVM partition
starts at sector 2048, so I expect grub resides on the first 2048
sectors.

I suspect one can get an idea of things grub can do by
listing /boot/grub/i386-pc/.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com