On Mon 15 Jan 2024 at 21:05:10 (+0100), to...@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 15, 2024 at 01:56:25PM -0600, David Wright wrote:

> > > I've always found it to be safer as long as the max # of entries is
> > > not exceeded.
> >
> > What would that maximum be? Here mutt appears to competently handle
> > a 6GB mbox with 372,210 entries, albeit slowly.
>
> Woah. 1.5G/47k entries here. You win :)

I cheated. I ran a python script that I have for generating an mbox
from mutt's message cache. (My INBOX has ~35½k items, but there are
a fair number of stale items in the cache, leading to 37221 total.
I then catted 10 copies of the mbox into a mega-one (rather, giga-)
in /tmp, opened it in mutt (that's slow), sorted it variously (that's
quick), read some, deleted some, and sync'ed it (slow again, as it
makes a copy). All probably not helped by having level 5 debugging
going into a file.

So my actual mbox maxima are ½GB size and ~3000 messages. The 0.6GB
INBOX obviously doesn't count as an mbox. You win after all :)

Cheers,
David.