On 2024-01-12 13:31, gene heskett wrote:
I'm using tbird as an email agent, but it just did something both
strange and scary.

Its filters have been working very spotty, only when the phase of the
moon was right. And it missed moving a msg from the nut list to the
local nut sbbdir, so I went to the filter menu and had it add a new
filter based on that msg.  Then told it to "run it now". Apparently a
big mistake!!!!!!

tbird took about an hour, totally cleaned out the inbox at my mail
server of 4080 some messages, w/o adding or moving to anything,
absolutely zip to any local mail directory. No local msgs were played
with, but I've lost several hundred often used addresses that were
stashed in my inbox.

Does anybody have a clue what did that?

Isn't mbox (seen elsewhere) like one file?
Without knowing what I'm doing I reckoned maildir would be safer.
mick