On Tue, May 28, 2024 at 06:11:48PM +0100, debian-u...@howorth.org.uk wrote:
> Most houses in the UK are wired to a single phase, so everything is
> connected together at the consumer unit and powerline works just fine.
> If you have a specific problem, then there are DIN rail powerline units
> designed specifically to be mounted in the CU to spread the signal
> better over ALL the circuits.
>
> If your house has 3-phase wiring, which is unusual in the UK, then you
> may have a problem because powerline signals do need to be on the same
> phase.

In the US, most houses are wired with 240V split-phase giving 120V to
a mains outlet.  It's a 50/50 crapshot if you are on the same leg in a
different part of the house.  I don't know if some electricians like
to put all the mains outlets on the same leg or not.  I don't know if
these ethernet over power things will work over different legs.  The
legs share a neutral and ground, so maybe!  I'd be interested to know!

Similarrly, over 3-phase, I would suspect the same is true, 3
different legs around the property with a common neutral and common
ground.