On Tuesday 28 May 2024 01:49:52 pm Paul M Foster wrote:
> I've never see a 3 phase in a house. Common in commercial/industrial,
> though.

Residential installations (talking in the US here) typically involve *one*
transformer tapping a single phase out of the three that are up there on the
pole.  The secondary is center-tapped,  and it's that point which is grounded
at the service entrance.  Running 3-phase power requires *three* transformers
up on the pole,  much more in the way of expense if you want that for some
reason,  and I don't know of anybody that does that.  Even those who are into
having some nontrivial machinery around seem these days to use a VFD to give
them multiple phases at the machine,  rather than going through the expense of
having it run in from the pole...

-
M Dakin