On Tue, 28 May 2024 11:31:29 +0100
"mick.crane" <mick.cr...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello mick.crane,

>Is there not some system that runs ethernet over the mains wiring or
>did I misunderstand it.

Yes, there is.  I believe you're thinking of powerline adaptors.  They
do require everything be on the same circuit, however.

The way electrical wiring is done in the UK often means separate floors
are on different circuits, and in larger properties, each floor might
be on two (or more) circuits, making it difficult, at best, to get the
whole building networked this way.  And that's assuming ring circuits,
if everything is on a radial, you're stymied.

--
 Regards  _       "Valid sig separator is {dash}{dash}{space}"
         / )      "The blindingly obvious is never immediately apparent"