On 5/28/24 14:23, rtnetz...@windstream.net wrote:
----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul M Foster" <pa...@quillandmouse.com>

I've never see a 3 phase in a house.

Quite some years ago my father inquired about getting
3 phase power to his house to power a rather husky lathe.
The answers were distributed between "impossible"
and "prohibitively expensive".

This is economics for the power company. They may have all 3 phases available at the substation, but running all 3 phases to every pole in the village simply is not done. They balance loads by feeding phase A up this street, phase B up a different street, and phase C up yet another street, so the quoted costs will usually include the cost of constructing ways to get all 3 phases to your pole. The distance might be a mile or more. For one customer the cost WILL be phenomenal. You'll be $100k ahead to just buy a vfd big enough to run that lathe. That may require a bigger can on your pole and 750mcm drops from there to your house, but that is still only 2% of the cost to bring in all three phases to your pole.

Its been my experience that the normal electrician does NOT understand 3 phase power at all. I've had to go behind them fixing their mistakes quite a few times. One such instance threatened to burn down the tv station every time we turned on the studio lights to do a newscast. What I found when I opened the covers to the breakers was enough to discuss the perps genealogy in flowery terms, at length. I am not an electrician, I'm a CET. A much rarer bird.

Cheers, Gene Heskett, CET.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis