On Sat, Jun 22, 2024 at 23:25:43 -0500, David Wright wrote:
> creation of Pacific/Kiritimati (+14:00), which became a press
> story at the start of the new millennium.
>
> $ TZ=Pacific/Kiritamati date; TZ=Australia/Eucla date
> Sun Jun 23 04:24:54 Pacific 2024
> Sun Jun 23 13:09:54 +0845 2024
> $

Typo there; you misspelled "Kiritimati" in the command.

hobbit:~$ TZ=Pacific/Kiritimati date; TZ=Australia/Eucla date
Mon Jun 24 02:39:17 +14 2024
Sun Jun 23 21:24:17 +0845 2024

The fact that date(1) treats any misspelled or otherwise incorrect TZ
variable as if it were UTC, but then goes on to write the mispelled
time zone name in its *output*, as if it were actually being recognized,
has tripped me up in the past.  I really wish it would just throw an
error... but it doesn't.