On 23/6/24 18:57, Brad Rogers wrote:
On Sun, 23 Jun 2024 15:35:14 +1000
Keith Bainbridge <keithr...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Keith,

+14:00??   I've only ever heard of maxima of +/- 12:00.

AFAIAC, it was political willy waving, nothing more;  To be 'first' into
the new millennium.

As if that has any cachet whatsoever.

Now I see. They decreed that they were on the same day as Australia and New Zealand (apart from the odd hours). Makes sense. We both help assist them lots. I just wasn't aware that a culture could do that. But do the US protectorates in the west Pacific (like the place where our Julian Assange is in court this morning) also adjust there offset from UTC? That would likely make more sense.

But the being first into the new millennium didn't work. All the IT gurus headed to New Zealand to see what was going to happen with Y2K bug.

--
All the best

Keith Bainbridge

keithr...@gmail.com