> Jun 30 11:43:00 bottom sm-mta[18852]: AUTH: available mech=DIGEST-MD5
> CRAM-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN, allowed mech=EXTERNAL

Update here, it's not apparently an STARTTLS error, it's an AUTH
error.  Something in the update last night altered my list of
available AUTH mechanisms.

I manually updated sendmail.cf and updated this line:

O AuthMechanisms=EXTERNAL DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 NTLM LOGIN PLAIN

by adding "DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 NTLM LOGIN PLAIN" and now it accepts
mail from my desktop.

I don't see where this is configured.  /etc/sasl2/Sendmail.conf which
is a link to /etc/mail/sasl/Sendmail.conf.2, but this file looks good,
I don't know where it's getting the AuthMechanisms from (yet).