On Sun, 30 Jun 2024, Michael Grant wrote:

After an update today, sendmail is refusing to accept mail.  I'm
seeing this in the logs:

Hmmm, this update seems to have done a lot of odd things.

MSP Queue status...
                /var/spool/mqueue-client (2 requests)
-----Q-ID----- --Size-- -----Q-Time----- ------------Sender/Recipient-----------
45U9e1iI018145    30770 Sun Jun 30 10:40 MAILER-DAEMON
                 (Deferred: 421 4.5.0 Bare carriage return (CR) not allowed)
                                         root
45U5Qnln008885    28799 Sun Jun 30 06:26 root
          7BIT   (Deferred: 421 4.5.0 Bare carriage return (CR) not allowed)
                                         root
                Total requests: 2
MTA Queue status...
/var/spool/mqueue is empty
                Total requests: 0

That's the cron email telling me about the update.

It's not at all clear to me what it's complaining about.
root@dirac:/var/spool/mqueue-client# od -t x1 qf45U* | grep 0d
root@dirac:/var/spool/mqueue-client#

Unless it's the bare CR in the body of the email - which should be fine!

Moving the queue files from mqueue-client to mqueue and fixing up the
owner and perms and they delivered fine.