On Sun, 30 Jun 2024, Tim Woodall wrote:

On Sun, 30 Jun 2024, Michael Grant wrote:

After an update today, sendmail is refusing to accept mail.  I'm
seeing this in the logs:

Hmmm, this update seems to have done a lot of odd things.

root@dirac:~# mail root
Cc: Subject: test cr
this
is^Ma test
.
root@dirac:~# mailq
MSP Queue status...
                /var/spool/mqueue-client (1 request)
-----Q-ID----- --Size-- -----Q-Time----- ------------Sender/Recipient-----------
45ULV1xk014043       15 Sun Jun 30 22:31 r...@dirac.home.woodall.me.uk
                 (Deferred: 421 4.5.0 Bare carriage return (CR) not allowed)
                                         root
                Total requests: 1
MTA Queue status...
/var/spool/mqueue is empty
                Total requests: 0

According to this
https://support.trustwave.com/kb/KnowledgebaseArticle10016.aspx

bare CRs aren't allowed in emails but this has always worked.

I'm only likely to have cron generating emails like this.

Strange that this would have been changed in a stable release. It
doesn't seem to have been a security update.