>I am having some trouble with my mail server.  About once a week, I find my
>spool folder overflowing.  There are usually only about 200 files in that
>folder, but when this weird thing happens, there are 5000+ in both the spool
>and in the overflow folder.

If there are lots of D*.SMD files in the spool directory, and lots of
Q*.SMD files in the overflow directory, then IMail reached its maximum
capacity and Declude Queue took over.  Without Declude Queue, you would
have seen all those files in the spool directory, and they would get sent
out more slowly.

>If I move all the files from the overflow back into the spool, they clear
>out pretty quickly, but more keep showing up in the overflow at a rate of
>about 100 per few minutes.
>
>What could be causing this?  Where do I start to try to figure it out.
>There is nothing unusual in the imail log and there is nothing about queue
>in any of the logs.

If you run regedit, what is the entry at
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\SMTPD32\Parameters\MaxQueProc
set to?  That controls how many processes can be running at once.  If your
server is capable, you could try increasing that value.

Specifically, Declude Queue will start moving those files to the overflow
directory when the maximum number of processes is reached (at which point
IMail would normally keep the file in the queue, and not even attempt to
deliver it until the next queue run, typically 20-30 minutes later).

What you really need to do is find out *why* so much E-mail is being
sent/received; in many cases, it is a spammer or other undesirable (such as
a mail loop).

site at http://www.declude.com .