>Here's what I did to fix it:
>
>1) I turned off declude junkmail (by renaming the global.cfg file)
>2) Moved all the files from the overflow directory to the spool directory
>
>They all cleared out and things are back to normal.
>
>Now (an hour after i turned junkmail off) I am going to turn junkmail back
>on and see what happens.

Note that you also did something else here -- by turning off Declude
JunkMail, you sped up delivery of *new* E-mails, especially if you are
using an old spam test that times out (causing the E-mail to be in memory
for 10+ extra seconds).  That may be a factor.

> >From what I could tell, most of the extra email was spam.

It sounds like you may be dealing with a massive distributed spam attack,
where a spammer compromises thousands of computers, and sends spam via a
dictionary-like attack (sending to thousands and thousands of made-up
addresses, hoping a few will receive the E-mail).  If you have a "nobody"
alias, this can shut down your server.

>Our mail server is a Dell 2450 with 2 866processors and 512mb ram.  it has a
>caching raid controller and some very fast drives.  How high do you think I
>could get away with setting that max processes value?

It's impossible to say -- only trial and error will tell for sure.  The
problem is that Microsoft doesn't document the pertinent information about
the problem.  The problem is that if you go too high, Microsoft will run
out of a special type of memory and choke, causing all new processes to
fail upon loading.  With the best information we can get from Microsoft, it
shouldn't be possible for this to happen with recent versions of Declude
(although it definitely will happen without Declude).

A value of 30 is the default, so if it is lower, you should be able to
raise it to 30 with no problem.

>In the imail admin for 7.11 there is an advanced tab under the smtp service.
>One of the values that can be set there is max processes.  Is this the same
>thing?

Ah, yes -- I forgot about that (a nice new feature).  That is the same thing.

site at http://www.declude.com .