Thank you for the feedback.  There is no firewall between my mail server
and my DNS server.  The DNS server is running without issue and resolves
names just fine on all other workstations and servers even when the
issues on my mail server arise.  When the issue presents itself, the
mail server alone is unable to establish a connection to the DNS.
During the first instance, I verified multiple times that the DNS server
was resolving properly and noted that the mail server could not
establish a connection with any of the five DNS servers I tried.  After
the decludeproc service was restarted, I could once again establish the
connection for DNS and mail processing started again.  However, with
500k messages in queue it took less than a half hour for the problem to
happen again.  My solution at the time, which I am not happy with, was
to purge the proc folder.  Without such overhead it ran fine for weeks.

The second time this happened a few days ago, I verified all my pervious
findings.

I can guarantee with absolute certainty that there are no DNS issues at
the root of this problem.  The sole cause and solution lie with the
decludeproc service and its consumption of resources on my mail server.

I just wrote a program to monitor the number of files in the proc folder
and restart the decludeproc service if it exceeds 2000.  This will be
enough to ensure that this doesn't happen again, but I do wish to make
this issue known so it can be avoided or diagnosed in the future.

I am currently running Win2003/sp1, Imail 8.12 with declude pro 3.0.5.22
running spam and antivirus with f-prot.

Will