No it doesn't. DBD will upgrade the tables at restructure to the level
needed to support the feature set requested, only if that is necessary.

There is a utility on the Borland site that will upgrade tables to a higher
level.

> I have a utility here called DTutil32.exe.  Not sure where it
> came from - is
> this adequate for doing these sorts of rebuilds?  There are others around
> that require an empty copy of the database to be maintained for
> reference in
> rebuilding databases.
> Are these latter types able to recover from more corrupt
> databases than the
> above utility?

As I understand it - the occasions on which you will be able to rebuild from
a borrowed structure from an original of the tables is quite small.

> Do these utilities fix more problems than it is possible to fix by merely
> deleting and re-creating the indexes?

Yes. If the table's header is corrupted it can usually be rebuilt. Whereas
in DBD you may not even be able to open the table.