On 20-Dec-05, at 2:47 PM, Michael Sweet wrote:
This particular discussion is for the file dialog, not the print
dialog.

Ahem, yes. *blush*  I'd blame the Subject line, but that would be petty.

That said, it is unlikely that the generic print dialog proposed here
will be used by more complex printing applications that provide custom
options and dynamic previews (i.e. drag the object you are printing
in the preview to adjust the position on the page + options like "crop
marks" and other application-specific stuff that doesn't belong in the
generic print dialog)

Is "fit to page size" really that rare a capability of an app that prints? Seems to me like pretty much any office-suite app will need that, as well as most graphical programs (charting, browsers, authoring tools). I would think that it would be much rarer for an application to _not_ need to know what the dimensions of the target surface are, in order to produce an accurate preview.

Is my takeaway then that I have to write my own printing dialog in order to make print previewing high fidelity? And replicate all the printer-option-detection-and-surfacing work, and get complaints that it doesn't look like all the other print dialogs, etc. I hope I'm mistaken!

Mike