Am Dienstag, 20. Dezember 2005 20:33 schrieb Mike Shaver:

Hi Mike,

> On 20-Dec-05, at 1:26 PM, Martin Konold wrote:
> > E.g. KDE offers a file open dialog with preview capabilities. This
> > capability
> > is build into the dialog without a call back to the application
> > calling the
> > dialog.
>
> But when the user changes the paper size, or changes from portrait to
> landscape, or even from colour to B&W, don't apps need to adjust to
> that?

You seem to have not read all messages in this thread.

I wrote explicitly on Sunday 22:37:07 that indeed you need bidirectional
communication for the print dialog.

"Actually the print dialog is one of the most difficult IO dialogs compared to
file IO etc.

The reason for this is that the print dialog needs bidirectional communication
with the application for everything except the most trivial tasks. E.g. if
the paper size or the margin is chosen it means that the application must
learn these values and render the output accordingly.

Last but not least you want to have advanced features like a preview in the
printing dialog which needs to be updated whenever some options change."

> We would certainly want to reflow to match the new dimensions, as I
> would imagine that Inkscape or Konqueror do.

See above.

My claim was that the file open dialog does in contrast to the print dialog
not require bidirectional communication.

This is the reason why the print dialog is so hard and I consider it an acid
test for the feasability of the problem. E.g. the simple command line
interface for portland will most probably not be able to offer all the
advanced features RUDI can provide.

Still a Portland command interface (e.g. xdo-printer) for printing which is
called by Mozilla is still much better than the current implementation which
ask the user to provide the printing command.

For KDE xdo-printer would simply call kprinter. I am sure that GNOME has a
similar offering.

Regards,
-- martin

--