On 20-Dec-05, at 1:26 PM, Martin Konold wrote:

E.g. KDE offers a file open dialog with preview capabilities. This capability is build into the dialog without a call back to the application calling the
dialog.

But when the user changes the paper size, or changes from portrait to landscape, or even from colour to B&W, don't apps need to adjust to that?

We would certainly want to reflow to match the new dimensions, as I would imagine that Inkscape or Konqueror do. And if OpenOffice has widow-and-orphan protection, etc. -- I really don't see how you can avoid informing the app. Is there some trick that I'm missing, in my printing-naïvete?

Mike