On Tuesday 03 January 2006 21:01, Bastian, Waldo wrote:
> There would be a natural motivation in the sense that everyone will be
> documenting those parts of the system that they have a natural interest
> in already anyway.

given that we don't have much of this documentation right now (i'm thinking of
high-level docu (e.g. "how to print") versus API docu, which we do a good but
not stellar job with), i don't know if this is realistic?

> On top of that there is some competitive pressure
> between technologies, e.g. if OSDL lists on his website how an
> application can print using the Qt libraries, gnome developers may want
> to make sure that there is also an entry that explains how you can do
> the same with gnome-print.

i wonder how much energy there is for this.

maybe i'm just very jaded by watching to date how documentation doesn't
accumulate in projects very effectively.

> If OSDL would generate the questions I'm sure that the individual
> projects will manage to come up with answers, after all, these are the
> same issues that are being asked and answered on mailinglists already.
> The only difference is that with this infrastructure such knowledge
> would be much more accessible.

how many questions on mailing lists are of the "how do i use this particular
set of functions/classes in libfoo?" variety versus broader, topic-wide
queries like "how do i print?" or "what are the IPC options available and how
do i use them from my application?"

the real value in such a portal is in the latter sort IMHO. these are the
questions i end up being asked time and time again by developers and there is
no good place to send them.

because the answers are long and the questions rather vague, i don't see much
coverage of them on mailing lists.

--
Aaron J. Seigo