On 10/3/17 4:36 PM, Jeff Griffiths wrote:
2. it sets the default value of the tab to 50, previously this value
was hard-coded at 100.

Jeff,

So just to make sure I understand the change (and this is a theoretical point, because I haven't had a chance to try the change yet)... Right now, the min tab width is 100. This contains the following pieces:

1)  18px of horizontal padding (on the .tab-content).
2)  16px of favicon.
3)   6px of favicon right-margin.
4)  60px of space for the page title.

With the new setup, just looking at the patch, the main thing that changes is that the page title space drops from 60px to 10px when enough tabs are open, because none of the other values change, right?

Right now, at 60px, I can see 7-10 chars in a tab title. This is sometimes (but not always) enough for me to make sense of what I'm looking at when the favicon is not helpful. For example, for bugzilla bugs I can see the whole bug number.

In the new setup is sounds like I will see 1-2 chars. At that point, it's not immediately clear to me that there's any value to not just setting the min-width to "40px" and allowing all the title text to disappear altogether. There is definite value in not going below the "keep the favicon entirely visible" value, of course.

We looked into this and I generally agree with the
comments: chrome's "infinite tabs visible" approach results in a much
higher usable/visible

I think there's a difference here between "usable" and "visible".... And yes, I understand that I can just set the pref as needed.

One aspect that I would like to stress about this change: most
existing Firefox users will never see it, because they are unlikely to
open m,ore than 10 tabs at any one time.

Just fwiw, at the 100px width, tabstrip scrolling kicks in for me at 9 tabs. It's possible that most of our users have wider windows than mine, of course.

I will definitely try experimenting a bit with this pref to see how things behave in practice.

-Boris