On 10/10/17 1:11 PM, Jeff Griffiths wrote:
This is highly dependent on screen size.

It's dependent on window size. And I was just pointing out that the post I was replying to assumes that "12 or fewer tabs" means "not scrolling", whereas we have no obvious data to that effect.

That is, we have telemetry for number of tabs. We have telemetry for screen sizes, iirc. I don't know whether we have telemetry for _window_ sizes at all. And we don't have telemetry for "window size divided by number of tabs", which is what we would need to know what fraction of people have overflowing tabs.

We could approximate this last if we have telemetry for window size (or assume that window size closely tracks screen size) and assume that number of tabs is uncorrelated with window or screen size. But it's not clear to me how justified such an assumption would be.

I was addressing just this one statistical analysis point, not the broader question of what the right behavior is here.

-Boris