I prefer the old behaviour, but I don't have a strong opinion on the
matter. I think it's because I'm used to tab navigation by keyboard
shortcut more than by mouse. I rearrange tabs so that they're close
together.

For everyone curious about how much of an outlier your subsessions are...
on Nightly 58: https://mzl.la/2ge6Bpk
Over 20% of subsessions have only one tab.
50% of subsessions have 3 or fewer
Over 90% of subsessions have 20 or fewer.
99% of subsessions have 218 or fewer tabs open concurrently.

Of course this is wildly different on other[1] channels: (
Beta 57's 99%ile is at 22[1]
Release 56's 99%ile is at 148, with 94% of subsessions with 20 or fewer
tabs[2]

Note: telemetry.mozilla.org is per-subsession aggregation, not per-client,
so clients with more subsessions are weighted more heavily
(pseudoreplication). Just something to keep in mind.

:chutten

[1]: https://mzl.la/2gdB1YP
[2]: https://mzl.la/2gdXftM