On 29/04/14 00:16, Kathleen Wilson wrote:
> My personal opinion…

And mine:

Free-at-the-point-of-issuance certs have been a great thing for the
Internet, and I would be very sad to see them go away. I also think in
general that the charging structures of (non-insurance :-) business
models are best when they reflect the cost structure incurred in
providing the service. Otherwise, one set of customers is subsidising
the other ones. (At the moment, for the other CAs,
non-Heartbleed-vulnerable customers are subsidising the costs incurred
by Heartbleed-vulnerable ones.)

I do not understand the logic of "There is now an unexpected expense
associated with doing the right thing. Despite the fact that my
subscriber agreement says that I should bear that expense, I refuse to
do the right thing until the CA bears the expense for me." That seems
entirely wrong to me.

A contract is a contract. If you don't like contracts which say that the
subscriber should pay for revocations, don't sign one, and encourage
others not to do so also. And if you signed one, you should meet your
obligations. "Let your Yes be Yes, and your No be No." (Jesus).

Gerv