All,

For what it's worth, during a presentation I gave during Security Week
(http://www.etsi.org/index.php/news-events/events/870-security-week) of the
European Telecommunications Standards Institute ("ETSI") (which is charged
with implementing Article 1 of a European Regulation that governs qualified
web site certificates),
http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/getDoc.do?type=TA
<http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/getDoc.do?type=TA&language=EN&reference
=P7-TA-2014-0282> &language=EN&reference=P7-TA-2014-0282, I was asked (by
someone in the audience and not by anyone specifically representing EU
governments) to relay a message that some European supervisory bodies would
like browsers and OS providers to enable and support an additional trust
list or trust store, specific to the EU, for those Trust Service Provider-CA
entities that are accredited to issue digital certificates in the EU.

For those unfamiliar with this act of the European Parliament, Article 1
from the second reference above reads,

"With a view to ensuring the proper functioning of the internal market while
aiming at adequate level of security of electronic identification means and
trust services this Regulation:

               -             lays down conditions under which Member States
shall recognise electronic identification means of natural and legal persons
falling under a notified electronic identification scheme of another Member
State,

               -             lays down rules for trust services, in
particular for electronic transactions and

               -             establishes a legal framework for electronic
signatures, electronic seals, electronic time stamps, electronic documents,
electronic registered delivery services and certificates services for
website authentication."

Cheers,

Ben