Thinking about this from a technical perspective, rather than a
political one, this seems very similar to a user deciding to add
additional certificates to their trust store.  I think the primary
differences are the need to add a set of certificates and possibly
automatically update the list.

If there was a standard for publishing trust lists where the list
comes in one file and is signed, then I can imagine an option to
"import list" and the list could contain a URL to fetch new versions.
Then the user could simply select to use the "EU Trust List", the
"China Trust List", or the "US Government Trust List".  The browser
would periodically fetch new versions of the list, validate the
signature (using the key of the previous list), and switch to that
list.  Microsoft already has their SST format; possibly this could be
the starting point for an open format usable by all.

This would avoid the need for a vendor to maintain hundreds of trust
lists and allow customers to deploy their own trust list policies.

Thanks,
Peter