I definitely consider increased visibility into the vast iceberg that is
the public PKI to be a good thing!

What set of intermediates are you using? If it's reasonably complete, I
doubt we'll do any better than you, though maybe someone here has a
particularly clever technique for processing these.

As these are all from PDFs, an interesting follow-up project for someone
might be to look at S/MIME signatures sent to public mailing lists and
seeing what interesting certificates can be found there.

Alex