On Tue, Mar 5, 2019 at 8:16 AM Alex Gaynor via dev-security-policy <

> You're right, there is no test. That's why some of us believe we should
> look at proxies: such as honesty, considering root membership is ultimately
> about trust. DM has made claims that I am unable to understand in any way
> besides lying.

Unless the lies are material and relate to their CA operations, I don't
think it's relevant.  One has to approach these stories with skepticism.
Bloomberg is regarded as reputable, but look at the SuperMicro case.  If
there are provable commissions of dishonest behavior material to the
operations of the CA, I would think these would have been offered up by now.

> As you are well aware, there is a neighboring claim that _is_ accurate.
> Which is that a malicious root CA would be able to issue for any domain,
> and thus issue certificates to enable MITM. While it is misleading to say
> that DM would be able to decrypt all customer data, it's completely true
> that DM would be able to MITM _any_ TLS traffic -- customer or not!

And yet many tiny CAs exist, and if we look at the economics of CAs today,
some of them must be struggling.  If this were their [DarkMatter's] intent,
rather than establishing a long term service, wouldn't they just buy up one
of those and delay the disclosure?  If we're assuming that their nefarious
presumptive interception demanding client is the national government of the
UAE, it's clear that there's plenty of cash to do just that.  With that
kind of money, you don't really even need to buy up a tiny CA.  You could
likely just purchase the very integrity of the operators of one.

> Do you believe there is _any_ outside activity a CA could engage in, while
> still maintaing clean audits, that should disqualify them for membership in
> the Mozilla Root Program?

Personally, I think the value of the audits is rather limited, but it does
catch some things and remains a good safety.  Certificate Transparency has
done a great deal to improve this space and is, going forward, an even more
valuable check on corruption.

Objections to DarkMatter on the sole basis of the actions of a sibling
business with common owners is dangerous turf to get into, if we care about
historic precedent.  Not only for corporate MITM but for straight-up
malware as well.  Until quite recently the operation presently called
Sectigo was called Comodo and for a not brief period was owned by Francisco
Partners, an organization which also owns/owned the NSO Group.
Additionally, and before Symantec would ultimately be untrusted for
entirely unrelated reasons, Symantec owned BlueCoat.

This means there are two recent precedents for which this category of
issues has not resulted in delegation of trust and one proposal that the
same category of behaviors should.  I am not suggesting that a position
against DarkMatter on this basis is an indicator of xenophobia or bias
against a particular national affiliation, but I do wonder how one would
defend against such an accusation.
            • Re:... James Burton via dev-security-policy
            • RE:... Benjamin Gabriel via dev-security-policy
            • Re:... Matt Palmer via dev-security-policy
            • Re:... James Burton via dev-security-policy
            • RE:... Benjamin Gabriel via dev-security-policy
            • Re:... Cynthia Revström via dev-security-policy
            • Re:... Rob Stradling via dev-security-policy
            • RE:... Benjamin Gabriel via dev-security-policy
            • Re:... Jakob Bohm via dev-security-policy
            • Re:... lmelinte--- via dev-security-policy
            • Re:... Matthew Hardeman via dev-security-policy
            • Re:... Matthew Hardeman via dev-security-policy
            • Re:... Ryan Sleevi via dev-security-policy
            • Re:... Matthew Hardeman via dev-security-policy
            • Re:... Ryan Sleevi via dev-security-policy
            • Re:... nadim--- via dev-security-policy
            • Re:... Jonathan Rudenberg via dev-security-policy
  • Re: DarkMatter Concerns andrewtipton.finearts--- via dev-security-policy
  • Re: DarkMatter Concerns Jaime Hablutzel via dev-security-policy
  • Re: DarkMatter Concerns Jaime Hablutzel via dev-security-policy