Part 1 of 2:

Dear Ryan,

A fair and transparent public discussion requires full disclosure of each
participant's motivations and ultimate agenda.  Whether in CABForum, or
Mozilla-dev-security-policy, I represent the viewpoints of my employer
DarkMatter and passionately believe in our unflagging efforts to provide the
citizens, residents and visitors to the United Arab Emirates with the same
internet security and privacy protections that are taken for granted in other
parts of the world.

On Wednesday, March 6, 2019 7:51 PM, Ryan Sleevi wrote:
>  (Writing in a personal capacity)

Until such time as we have been formally advised by your employer (Google),
that you no longer represent their views in CABForum, or in this
Mozilla-dev-security-policy forum, we will proceed on the basis that all of
your statements are the official viewpoint of your employer (Google).

>   I highlight this, because given the inherently global nature of the
>   Internet,  there is no technical need to work with local CAs, and,
>   with a well-run root store,  all CAs provide an equivalent level of
>   protection and security, which rests in the domain authorization

We reject your paternalistic view that there is no technical need for a local
United Arab Emirates CA.  Our own research has determined that approximately
68% of the websites in the United Arab Emirates are not adequately protected
for HTTPS traffic (double the global average).  If those incumbent CA
monopolies that you champion were doing such a great job globally - why such a
stark difference?

We are of the view that CA monopolies are inherently bad for the internet in
that they unfairly exploit market power. The result is  a fundamental right to
Internet security and privacy being deliberately priced out of reach for a
significant population of the world.  We ask you, what can be more an
anti-competitive monopoly than  a "well run store" (read Google/Mozilla) that
does not take into consideration that sovereign nations have the fundamental
right to provide digital services to their own citizens, utilizing their own
national root, without being held hostage by a provider situated in another
nation.  You should note that DarkMatter's request is also for the inclusion of
UAE's national root.

Benjamin Gabriel
General Counsel
Dark Matter Group

Benjamin Gabriel | General Counsel & SVP Legal
Tel: +971 2 417 1417 | Mob: +971 55 260 7410
benjamin.gabr...@darkmatter.ae

The information transmitted, including attachments, is intended only for the
person(s) or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential
use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or
in error, please contact the sender and destroy any copies of this information.