On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 6:18 PM, Asa Dotzler <a...@mozilla.org> wrote:

> On 3/17/2012 3:17 AM, Andreas Gal wrote:
>

>> We have trained users over a long period of time to think of
>> sites/origins and not the actual code when making security decisions. The
>> whole code signing discussion is a total distraction here. Web apps should
>> use the same basic security model the web itself uses.
>>
>> Andreas
>>

> I agree with this. I think we need to ensure that we're being genuine when
> we say "the Web is the platform".  This means "the Web" and not just
> HTML+CSS+JS+etc. Palm's WebOS and Microsoft's HTML5 Metro style apps are
> NOT the Web. They are proprietary stacks that happen to use HTML+CSS+JS. We
> are building a real Web stack and that means "the Web", as in "the Web you
> get when you're in Firefox on PCs or devices."

Exactly. Being implemented in HTML+CSS+Javascript doesn't make something a
web app, it needs to actually be  hosted on the web and work like the web -
even if it's presented a little differently. A user granting permissions
expresses trust in the people hosting a web site/app, not the code itself.

Having said that, one thing I'm unsure about is the restriction of "one web
app per origin" and "one origin per web app". Do you think this this
flexible enough in practice?

Ben

--
Ben Francis