I think it has been said before that the extra security being discussed is only
required for apps that have been granted privileges (permissions).  I'm not
sure if it should be only "super sensitive permissions" or any permissions
granted automatically.  As I've said, if a permission isn't a risk to the user,
why is it a permission?

I'm not sure that requiring SSL for any app delivery is necessarily a bad
thing.  That seems a pretty low bar for developers to support and provides SOME
protection.

As for the trust level, I feel it is a multi-part trust.  The user is trusting
the developer to not produce malicious code and the store to vet that the
developer has not produced malicious code.  This gives the user more confidence
that more people have looked at the app before they install it.   That way, if
any one in the chain finds something unacceptable, it doesn't get through.
Yes, collusions can occur, but that is a more difficult proposition for someone
intent on causing trouble.