On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 3:12 PM, ptheriault <ptheria...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> Maybe I am wrong, but are not all offline web apps static web apps?

I see your point but there's currently no requirement for *all* of the
remote resources of a web app that works offline to be static and cached
locally. Only the ones listed in the appcache manifest which can provide a
subset of functionality when operating offline, and which themselves can be
updated whenever the appcache manifest is updated.

> My assumption was since the apps which require critical permissions are
> typically those which would need to be offline applications, and therefore
> the restriction wasn't a large one.

It depends on how many permissions you extend this policy too.

Although it would be a shame, I can understand if all four of the
restrictions you mention are applied to a small number of super sensitive
permissions (though I still think the user should have the power to
override this if they want). But to require that all apps are served over
SSL and are completely static (as I think you were proposing) seems
unnecessarily limiting.

If the app is served dynamically, what sort of controls would you propose
> to mitigate the threats of server compromise, loading unsafe code and web
> application vulnerabilities?

I'm sorry I don't have any technical solutions for this problem, only
non-technical ones which have already been discussed. But fundamentally I
think the user is expressing trust in the app developer who is hosting the
app, not the store which just listed it and provided ratings.

Ben

--
Ben Francis
http://tola.me.uk