On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 12:50:33 +1100
ptheriault wrote:

> 1. I can't think of any reason not to deploy privileged applications over
> SSL, and the more strict the better (HSTS, limited certs, additional checks
> etc)

I offer SSL on for example mail servers. It gripes me that companies
like Yahoo and hotmail offer ssl to clients but don't use it on their
MTAs. False sense of security or what.

However, if an app is signed or already secured then what is the SSl
doing apart from adding extra exploitability to the servers.  OpenSSL
has had exploits too and actually increases the attack surface. Of
course the server may already have SSL for other things like logging
in, in which case the point may be mute.

Trust me, I'm definately all for defence in depth, but is it actually
adding cracks by adding more bricks in this case? On the other hand, if
using externally signed packages, will it matter if the server is
compromised via SSL anyway? The most important thing to get right
will obviously be the key creation/handling/issuing policy.