I get your point about adding extra attack surface, but my thought was SSL has
a fairly narrow and heavily tested attack surface compared to whatever
signed/secured format is used. (i.e. an attacker could send unsigned malformed
pages/packages to attack B2G.)

And actually the phones SSL stack will be exposed to attack every time the
browser app visits a website, so this isn't adding any attack surface.